How to create a Resource Library in 10 minutes

*THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE

Wondering how to create a resource library to share your lovely freebies with your followers?  Then you are going to love what I am about to share in this post.

The post will focus on the following:

• What is a resource library
  • Why to make a resource library
  • Things to include in a resource library
  • How to make a resource library in 10 minutes
  • What is a Resource Library

A resource library is a password-protected database in your blog which can only be accessed by subscribers. This section includes helpful content upgrades that your subscribers can easily download and use for their own benefits.

Why to create a Resource Library

Adds value to your brand
Having a library multiple freebies for your subscribers is definitely a traffic magnet. After all who wouldn’t love to get access to free VALUABLE resources which would benefit them.

When you are offering a library of free opt-in to your visitors your brand would stand out. It will help you get more recognition and more following making your brand/blog really memorable for your subscribers which is your ultimate aim.

Helps to grow your email list TREMENDOUSLY
There is no doubt this strategy works wonders to grab attention of people and build a substantial amount of subscribers for your blog in a very short time. However the important thing to remember is to add valuable content for your subscribers. Don’t just fill up the library with irrelevant and useless freebies. I will get back on this topic later on in the post.

One stop shop
First and foremost it’s the best solution to house multiple content upgrades at one place. If you are planning to give out freebies in the near future or add more resources for your already existing subscribers you wouldn’t want them to keep on submitting their email addresses. This is where a resource library comes in to play. it’s a one stop shop to house all your content upgrades.

Things to include in a Resource Library

Here is a list of lead magnets that you can include in your resource library

• E-book
  • Workbooks
  • Cheatsheet
  • Social Media Group lists
  • Free downloads
  • Business plans
  • Traffic tips
  • Post ideas

Time to cut to the chase and getting to the point

How to create a Resource Library in 10 minutes

Things you need:

Essential Grid Plug-in (AFFILIATE LINK)
The is the best plugin to create a resource library on WordPress. It isn’t free and costs $26 but it’s worth every penny. It allows you to display various content formats in a highly customizable grid.

WordPress page
Create a new WordPress page.

Free resources
The most obvious thing you need for creating your resource library are freebies for your subscribers. These could be a combination of various content upgrades mentioned earlier and should always be in PDF format.

Steps to create a Resource Library

The first thing you need to do is download essential grid plugin on your computer and install it on your  WordPress website.

Go to your WordPress Dashboard >  Plugins > Add New

Press Upload Plugin

Now choose your file from wherever you have downloaded the Essential Grid plugin file.

Once the plugin is installed then just click activate plugin and then you are good to go!

Now essential grid would appear on the left hand side bar, click on it to get to this screen.

Now press create New Ess. Grid

Go to NAME> Enter title > Create short-code

The short code would be used later on to put your resource library on a page or a post.

Now go to Source > Custom Grid > Check featured Image

Next move onto Grid Setting and here are my suggested grid setting that you can follow for your ease.

Moving forward its time to choose a theme for your resource library

Essential Grid has many cool and exciting skins for WordPress, choose the one which goes well with your entire website theme and brand.

So once you have chosen the theme, now its time to get the party rolling.

Scroll down on the same section and upload your free resource image.

On the same element section enter your resource title & its description ( try to make it really persuasive to grab the audience attention).

So up til this moment this is what you achieved:

• Downloaded & installed the Essential Grid Plugin
  • Setup its Name, Source
  • Choose a skin matching your brand
  • Upload an image

Now comes the time to upload your free resource

Go to WordPress Dashboard > Media > Upload your free resource (Preferably in PDF Format).

Copy its link and paste on the element section as in the image below

And there you have it you have successfully made a resource library, save it on essential grid so you don’t lose your progress.

You can always add new resources using the same procedure.

The only thing left to do is create a new page for your resource library, and paste in the short-code from Essential Grid to make it appear on your website. In order to password protect it change the visibility settings. Add an easy password for you and your subscribers to remember.

And there you have it, your very own password protected resource library.

So what are you waiting for, create your own resource library now and start building your email list.

Happy Blogging

32 thoughts on “How to create a Resource Library in 10 minutes

• January 30, 2017 at 9:20 pm

This is an amazing tutorial. I am looking into starting a resource library myself. And this blog was extremely useful. I know it can almost quadruple your email list. I will look into it further.

Divine

• January 30, 2017 at 9:25 pm

This looks like something I might use. Thanks for such a comprehensive post.

• January 30, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I’ve been thinking about doing this! Thanks for the step by step instructions – super easy to follow. I can’t wait to get my library up and running 😍

• January 30, 2017 at 10:47 pm

I already have a resource library on my blog but I love reading about how other people do things on theirs – turns out we both use the same Plugin! Must be good! I certainly find it really easy to use and it definitely does the job.

Dani x | http://www.flourishingfreelancer.com

• January 31, 2017 at 12:21 am

First of all, I’m mind blown! How do I not know about resource libraries!? Secondly, I love the idea and would like to implement it…

BUT

I’m on squarespace. I don’t suppose you would know if you could do one on there?

• January 31, 2017 at 11:12 am

Hey Tess, I am working on a tutorial for Squarespace aswell, will update you on it soon.

• January 31, 2017 at 1:18 am

Ohhh great stuff here! Pinning this for later. Thanks for the how-to!

• January 31, 2017 at 2:37 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I just started doing gated content and landing pages on my site, so it’s good to know of better options to offer freebies as opt-in incentives.

• January 31, 2017 at 4:37 am

Very useful information! Thanks for the tips! I will surely be using them soon!

• January 31, 2017 at 12:06 pm

A thought provoking post, this. I’ve never thought of doing something like with my brand before, but now you have me thinking!

• January 31, 2017 at 3:13 pm

I like to have a resource list. Thank you for the tutorial on setting one up. It was very helpful.

• January 31, 2017 at 7:39 pm

This is fabulous! I really need to start creating resource guides to grow my email list. This tutorial will definitely be a huge help. Thank you so much

• January 31, 2017 at 11:41 pm

Thanks for the tips! This is just what I needed! I’ll be working on this for sure!

• February 1, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Thank you so very much. I’ve been investigating how to create a resource library for a few months, but it all seemed so confusing. Thank you for showing all the steps and Essential Grid sounds like a worthwhile investment

• February 1, 2017 at 5:23 pm

It definitely is worth it, and this strategy will really pour in floods of traffic to your page. Do share your experience.

• February 1, 2017 at 9:06 pm

I am so glad I found your post! I have been thinking to do a resource library but wasnt sure how and thought it would take up a lot of time but youve just made it seem 10 times easier!

Foirell | http://www.citygirlrell.com

• February 1, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Super helpful post! Making a resource library has been on my to-do list for a while but I didn’t know how to tackle it. This helps so much!

• February 1, 2017 at 10:42 pm

this is helpful will be pinning this to use later, thanks.

• February 2, 2017 at 10:32 am

Helpful stuff for both business and personal sites!

• February 2, 2017 at 11:45 am

This is awesome! Very well explained and love the pictures that go along with it! Thank you for sharing!

• February 2, 2017 at 12:35 pm

I have been working on my resource library for my blog! I am pinning this now as a reference as it continues to grow! Thanks

• February 2, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Excellent tips! Thanks so much! I’ve been searching for an effective plugin to help with this! =)

• February 2, 2017 at 7:10 pm

What a great resource, I’ve seen (and used) other people’s resource libraries and had no idea where to even get started putting my own together. Thanks for this!

• February 2, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Great detailed post! I’m bookmarking this also for future reference!

• February 2, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Great post! I’ve been meaning to create a resource library for so long now, so this is just what I needed 😉

• February 3, 2017 at 2:47 am

A resource library is a wonderful idea. I’ve seen them on some websites but didn’t know how they were made. Thanks for sharing how to do it.

• February 3, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Thx for this. I needed this information

• February 4, 2017 at 7:37 am

Thank you for all this, something for me to look into as I need to find a way to get some followers…

• February 6, 2017 at 10:30 pm

This is something I have never considered before and so very helpful. Thank you for posting this useful information.

Comments are closed.