*THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE
What is a web hosting service?
A web hosting service is required if you want your website to be viewed over the internet. A web hosting service stores your websites files on a web server connected to a high speed network. Whenever someone accesses your website, the internet retrieves data from the web server (holding your files) and transfers it to the user’s computer.
Before we jump into the different kind of web hosting services , you need to know why is it so important to choose the right web hosting service.
What would happen if you chose the wrong Web Hosting?
- Losing potential sale – the only way you are making any revenue is by being present online. If your website goes down users will not be able to view your products or post hence losing out on sales. Also if your website takes ages to load, people wouldn’t wait around for it to open they would either open another link, that’s what I would do. So you don’t want to discourage users from visiting your website.
- Adverse effect on SEO ranking – The ultimate goal for you is to have a higher SEO rank so customers or readers can view your content easily. Search engine like Google uses a method known as crawling, where they use web crawlers to find web pages and rank them. If your website is consistently down or unresponsive the crawlers would miss visiting your website hence adversely affecting your ranking.
- Security & Malware attacks – Well to be honest nothing is safe over the internet, hence there is no definite solution for keeping your website secure. However you can opt for a reputable web host who would provide data backup to a remote location, so even if things do go wrong your data would be secured.
Types of Web Hosting Services
There are three kinds of web hosting services provided by web hosting companies which you should be aware of:
- Shared (Most convenient & cost effective for Beginners)
The server resources would be shared with other websites on the server, generally considered to be the most economical option, especially for beginners. It gives you control over administration and monetization options. However its processing capacity is low holds some security risk (due to its sharing nature) and its gives few software and database option.
- Dedicated (If your traffic is more than 100K visits /month)
As the name suggests, these servers are only for a single website. It comes with complete administrative control and access with unlimited software and data base options. However security and maintenance would be your own responsibility, thus you should have a good knowledge about computers and servers. As the cost of the server isn’t shared with other customers this form of hosting is much more expensive.
Benefits of dedicated hosting
-Flexibility & customization
Cloud hosting is a virtual host that delivers better performance and capability by taking advantage of multiples sources. A Cloud hosting is a mix of shared hosting and dedicated hosting. In clouding hosting you will have to share the physical server hardware with other users, however, with virtualization technology, partitions can be made splitting up the virtual space for each server. This way each server would have its dedicated resource and act like a dedicated server.
- Benefits of cloud hosting:
- More Flexible
- Dedicated resources
- Less sharing of server
- Configuration freedom
- Benefits of cloud hosting:
A cloud host allows a possibility of increasing the server resources on the go, hence as your demand / traffic increases you can modify your server capability as well.
Determine your Hosting Requirements
The key to your online success relies on your selection of web hosting service. With the numerous options available these days the task of choosing web hosting service is getting difficult.
Once you are aware of the different types of web hosting services, now it time to determine your own needs.
Answer these simple questions to determine your hosting needs.
- What is the number of visitors on your website? What is the future growth?
If you are starting a new website/blog then a free or shared hosting is what you would need, however if the number of visitors is growing like crazy, and you are attracting a lot of traffic then you would need a cloud host or dedicated server to manage them.
- Are you going to selling online?
For providing retail services online you would need a fast and secure server for the transactions to happen safely. Customers wouldn’t wait for the website to load or products to appear, it would only put them off hence you would lose traffic.
- How important is SEO ranking for you?
To have a higher rank the search engine you website should be online all the time and should fast load, so if your need is to be on the top of the search list you need an effective host preferably a cloud or dedicated host.
- What is the number of pages of your website?
If you only have a landing page or few pages they will not need a lot of space requirements. Thus a free or shared hosting will suffice. However if the volume of pages is high then look for a cloud or dedicated hosting
- How much are you willing to spend on hosting?
For most of the start-ups they want to be as cost effective as possible and as their traffic and demands increase they are willing to add more features onto their website. Therefore if you are new, you can opt for a free or shared web hosting its really the cheapest option, but when money will not be a constraint you can go for Cloud or dedicated
Important points to consider before choosing a web host:
Here are some important specifications every website owner should see before they choose a web hosting service.
- Up-time – normally represented by percentage. It shows how many times a website has been up and running. A preferred percentage is 99.90% hence the higher the better.
- Page load speed – the faster page load speed the better. This is measured in milliseconds, and a recommended speed is 850ms.
- Customer support – well everyone claims to be giving the best customer support service possible, but you need to read the reviews to see whose claim is true or false. A customer support helps you to tackle with seen & unforeseen problems in the back end. Thus you need the best.
- Price – While considering the price plan you need to consider two types of prices:
- Signup cost – Cost of signing up to a host, which is normally attractive to lure customers in.
- Renewal cost – Cost of renewing web hosting for another period.
Why is Bluehost a good Web Hosting Service?
- Higher customer satisfaction
- Well trained 24 hours support team.
- Free Domain
- Easy installation
- Affordable starting plans
- Reliable & trustworthy
- Technologically equipped
- Expansion Options
- Recommended by WordPress since 2005
- 30 day full refund (No investment risk)
Special Offer for Megnovo Readers: BlueHost have an offer exclusive to Megnovo readers to get set up for just $2.95 USD per month (including a domain name!). You SAVE 63%!!!!
Here is my Beginners guide on How to start a Blog, I have tried to cover every important topic when it comes to creating a blog on WordPress. Also if you are stuck about the niche or topic you want to write about then read my article : How to choose a topic for your Blog
Hope I could be a help in starting your blog, please do give your feedback.